Friday, April 11, 2014

Let Us Love One Another

“But we proved to be gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children. Having thus a fond affection for you, we were well-leased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own lives, because you had become very dear to us” (I Thessalonians 2:7-8).

My parents did a good job making sure that my sisters and I were raised by making God and church a priority in our lives. However, in my high school years, I realized that I as just going through the motions of attending church and other activities, all the while thinking that I was a Christian. I was very willing to go to church, I was a pretty good person, did not get mad easily, and usually had a fairly good disposition. After all, that is what a Christian is….right??? WRONG!

During my high school years, I started babysitting regularly for a couple down the street from my house in Charlotte, North Carolina. As I babysat, every Wednesday night they would come home with joy and excitement about this new church they were helping to start. I was puzzled about the fact that they thought it was fun. They invited me numerous times to visit, and I finally decided to go. I was struck at once by the warmth and friendliness of the people at the little mission church (by the way, it was called Sharon Baptist Mission). I could see joy and genuine interest in God’s Word through the members. I went back a few times and then went to a very small Bible Study with the youth (which happened to be just two other people). They asked me if I had ever invited Christ to come into my life to forgive me for my sin and to be the Lord and Savior of my life. Though I had been through classes and had been to church, I never had made this personal decision. I prayed with them that night and then knew for certain that I was a Christian. I was filled with peace and also with a desire to read my Bible.

The friendliness, warmth and genuine concern that people had for me at that little church was what attracted me to go back to the church. Then the Lord used the teaching there and the personal interaction in Bible study to bring me into a relationship with Him.

Lord, help us to remember the fact that you love us and accept us unconditionally. Help us to do the same as we seek to love and accept those who come into our life. Help us point people to you. In Jesus name, Amen.


Sharon Beougher