Thursday, December 2, 2010

Glory to the newborn King!

"And Mary said: My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior..." (Luke 1:46-47, HCSB).

Mary glorified God as she expressed her love for the One who suffered to save us.  The glory she brings to God seems to be more than just what is seen outside of her, since the above verses read that even her soul and spirit rejoiced!  She seems to have had an appreciation for the Creator that was genuine and that started within her.  This overflowed into her speech, and she sang in honor of Him.

The psalmist in Psalm 69:30 wrote, "I will praise God's name with song and exalt Him with thanksgiving" (HCSB).  I wonder, how often do I thank God (Psalm 50:23)?  Do my actions thank the eternal King, who came to save us (1 Corinthians 10:31)?

Throughout this season that can be cheery and busy, it's my prayer that we remember how God sent His Son, Jesus, to sacrifice for us and to offer us new life.  We can give Him credit for the joy and peace we find in Him (Romans 5:1-2).  I pray that we thank God for His nature and share the hope that He brings.

Mariah Carey singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" live: YouTube.com