Thursday, January 26, 2012

Making a way through the jungle gym

"Make Your ways known to me, Lord, teach me your paths...
Remember, Lord, Your compassion and Your faithful love, for they have existed from antiquity."
-Psalm 25:4, 6 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Last night, while I was volunteering with kids for church, a small group of toddlers discovered a foam jungle-gym looking thing in the room.  It looked like something you'd see in a gymnastics gym, since it involved walking up a step, shimmying across a foam block, and then sliding down a triangle.  First just one boy played on it, but soon about four of the kids were playing on it. Other adult volunteers and I were trying to help them take turns so they wouldn't fall.

In Psalm 25, David writes about how he depended on God, the Lord, as His guide.  He realizes he didn't earn attention from God.  God has this great compassion and love that doesn't end.  The Lord of all is "good and upright" (verse 8), and He's full of love that is greater than any other.  Not only did He create and love us, but also He's able to change and lead us.

It still puts me in awe that God is here to save us.  Like David, sometimes we take our eyes off of God and are caught up in doing something that doesn't match up in how God is leading us.  God sent Jesus, though, to die for times when we turned against God.  We can come to Him and ask for forgiveness (verses 7, 11), and we can look to Him as our guide (verse 5, 8-9).

I pray thanks today that God is full of mercy and truth.  I pray that He helps us see our own need for Him and helps us see ways to share His love with others.

"Lord, I turn my hope to You" (Psalm 25:1).


(Photo from SonshineAcademy.com)