Monday, October 7, 2013

Leaders, Grace and Peace?


"Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus, to all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my god in all my remembrance of you" Philippians 1:1-3, NASB.
 
This past weekend, it was my honor to again be with Ashley Allen and the wonderful women of North Carolina. As we looked at the lessons of evangelistic leadership from Philippians, I began with these verses. Paul wrote to overseers, so as you can imagine, the book is packed with truths to take to heart. I love that he begins with the simple words of grace and peace. "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." I asked these leaders if they were giving grace and peace to those under their leadership. So simple, so profound.
 
What is grace? It is the free and unmerited favor of God. As a leader, I have to ask myself the same
question. Am I extending grace to others? Grace is the gospel message. It is the reality that in God's grace, He has blessed us with the gift of salvation, the gift of Himself. I must always extend His grace to everyone by my words and my actions. As a Christian, it is the best place to start.
 
What about peace? Do I carry the peace of God in every situation all day long? When I continue to find editing errors in the resources, how am I responding? Regardless of what happens, I need to always look to God for His peace so that I can extend it to others.
 
Grace and peace to you, my friend. May He fill you with His salvation and His Spirit so that you can pour it out on everyone.