Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mary, Martha, and the others


Of course I should be packing! The Southern Baptist Convention starts tomorrow (at least the Pastors' conference all other meetings) and tomorrow my family will be in Louisville, KY for the annual meetings. There has been a bit of spring cleaning at Southern so we are ready for lots of guests! I will see if I can't share a few thoughts here and there as we go through the week.

For now, here's the question...what about the other women? Remember the story of Mary and Martha. Mary was spending time at the feet of Jesus while Martha did the preparations. I'm guessing we have all heard it taught over and over again. My husband and I were enjoying all the festivities at a wedding today and got to talking about it. There must have been other women there. Maybe there weren't...but in real life, every woman doesn't fall into the category of Mary or Martha. Yes, some of us are worshippers and some are worker-bees. I like to think of myself as a Martha-turned-Mary. I love to work and be productive but I do know when to throw it all out and sit and worship. Anyway, have you ever noticed: there are some who just sit? They are not worshipping and they are not serving, not Mary or Martha. I wonder what Jesus would say to them? As I think about so many situations in churches, at conferences, and the like, I think there is a whole lot of sitting going on. I think we need to pray like Mary would about these sitters and be like Martha and try to get them plugged in. Just imagine if every women we knew were mobilized for the good of the kingdom!

God, please help me to be Mary or Martha or a combination but don't let me be one of the others!

Gotta go. Right now I need to be Martha!