Monday, June 7, 2010

Remodeling Me

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10, ESV).


“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17, ESV).


Some of you know that we have spent literally months living with remodeling in our master suite. Just imagine everything from my husband’s office and everything from the master bedroom piled in the living and dining rooms. Now see if you can picture a new bathroom, almost complete less painting the trim, a new huge walk-in and workout area, and a great master bedroom – with piles of things still waiting to be put up. No, I’m not going to post a photo for you. : ) It is so exciting to know that our old, gross shower has been replaced with a new, tiled, walk-in shower with plenty of room and a seat! There is much left to do and it has taken months (let’s pray we don’t have months to go), but it was been worth the effort.


I’m wondering if I am spending as much time on allowing God to remodel me? Am I letting him get rid of some old habits, and things in my life that need to go? Do I allow God to clean out my life, throw out the old, and renew me? Do I realize that this is a process? Sometimes there are so many things to change in our lives that we let it overwhelm us. As I have learned with remodeling, it takes just doing one thing at a time and sticking with it until it is finished. It took several days to hang ten closet shelves but we stuck with it and we finally finished. It may take months before all the little things are completed, but tackling each project is the only way it will happen. In our lives, we have to let God work on us, one thing at a time. While a total renewal is happening, sanctification is still a process.


Today, let’s agree to let God work on us and remodel us into the new image that He wants us to be – one step at a time. One day, maybe many months down the road, we will see a new image forming. When we do, we will look back and not even miss the old.


“For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation" (Galations 5:17, ESV).