Monday, August 2, 2010

Too Much Stuff

"And because they did not think it worthwhile to have God in their knowledge, God delivered them over to a worthless mind to do what is morally wrong" (Romans 1:28, HCSB).

I have entered a new era in my life. I have gone from gathering to de-cluttering. As a young adult, I gathered things. I hung onto anything and everything just in case I might need it later. After watching my parents downsize (and going to many estate sales like the one shown in the photo), I have come to the conclusion that I do not want Kelli to have to go through my stuff when I graduate into heaven. Tell me, who needs so much stuff? While it may have meaning to me, it is only clutter that takes up valuable space.

Our minds are like this. We input all sort of things and we keep them...just in case. When we try to bring in some good things, there is hardly room because of all the things that keep crowding the new things out. Then it becomes hard to sort out the items of value from the junk. God calls on us to renew our minds. "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" (Romans 12:1-2, ESV). We begin this process of getting rid of the trash so that there is room for the things of God.

Yesterday, we had lunch with some dear, longtime friends. One of the ladies is a therapist (and oversees 30 therapists). We got on the discussion of a depraved mind and she gave us an example. When a homosexual performs the act, their brain literally changes and this can be seen on images (x-rays?). It makes them believe that what they are doing is okay. Their brains are being physically transformed for evil. Romans 1:28 in HCSV (above) calls it being given over to a worthless mind to do what is morally wrong. Many versions call it a depraved mind.
 
As leaders who minister in a perverse culture, we must protect our minds. We must de-clutter and remove the junk and restore the things of value. Time spent with God to know the difference is the starting place.
 
Oh Lord, get the sin out of my life! Transform my mind today!