Scripture Reference - Luke 1:5-25; 1:39-45
Elizabeth is important to the birth of Jesus because she is the first person to acknowledge that Mary was indeed carrying the Messiah. When Mary arrived and she heard Mary's greeting, "the baby leaped insider her, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she exclaimed with a loud cry: 'You are the most blessed of women, and your child will be blessed.' How could this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me...She who has believed is blessed because what was spoken to her by the Lord will be fulfilled." They did not have text messaging in those days so Elizabeth would not have known that Mary was pregnant and she confirmed Mary was indeed pregnant with the Messiah.
Lessons from Elizabeth:
- Elizabeth kept her faith in God EVEN THOUGH she was childless most of her life.
- Elizabeth accepted that God's plan for her life was different than hers.
- Elizabeth experienced a long "waiting" time and did so patiently.
- Elizabeth's live took an unexpected turn and this turned out to be a JOY.
- Elizabeth rejoiced with Mary about her carrying the Messiah, rather than wondering why it was not her.