Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Living and Active


"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
Kari Beougher
 
I absolutely love the truth of this verse. As an avid reader who often re-reads books, I love that no matter how many times I may read a passage of Scripture, I learn new truths from it. Growing up in a devoted Christian home and attending Christian schools all my life, I have had the extreme privilege of reading the Word of God often. Yet, no matter how many times I read a passage or think I know it, some days it speaks to me or affects me in ways it never has before. The Word of God truly never grows old. It’s  never outdated, and it will never become meaningless.It is living and active. I love that I will never stop learning through reading and that God will continually communicate to me through the Bible, His revealed word. What a beautiful truth!


 I also continually experience the second part of this verse, able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Reading the Bible not only teaches me more about who Jesus is or what He wants for my life, but it also convicts me of my sin and shows me when I am wrong- which unfortunately, is often.While other books may lose their significance, the Bible will always be relevant and absolutely necessary to the Christian life.It is a means through which we learn more of who God is and who we are called to be.

Is reading the Word of God a priority in our life? Are we allowing God's Word to teach us new things? Are we allowing His Spirit to convict and correct sin in our lives? Trust in the power of God's Word today. It never returns to Him void but always accomplishes what He intends!