Sunday, July 14, 2013

Words

"So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; it will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11, NASB.

I wonder how many of my words have fallen on deaf ears. Maybe I really don't want to know the answer! I'm afraid that the reverse has been true also: I have not listened when someone was talking to me. Rarely was it on purpose, but often because my mind was racing in another direction.

Isaiah 55:11 reminds me that God's Word never returns void. I know there have been times I did not listen to the Lord. I am sure there have been days that I read the Word and did not take time to comprehend the message. Yet, God tells us that He always speaks through His Word, and that His Word will accomplish what He desires. God speaks through the Bible and He doesn't waste His Words.

When I share the Word with others, I can know that God is at work. Some may choose to try to close their ears, but God knows how to speak to the heart. The promise here is that when we share His Word (the Bible), He speaks through the Scriptures. In order to be the most effective, I need to just stay in the Word.

If you are wondering where to start, read the book of 1 John. This small book toward the end of the New Testament will help you know one of the most important things about listening: the assurance that you have listened to His call to your heart, to believe on Jesus and give Him your life.

Lord, give us ears to listen to You as we read Your Word. Give us your words to say as we share Your truth with others.