Friday, October 30, 2009

Evangelism and Fasting


"This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting." (Mark 9:29)

Evangelism is a war between light and dark. "World evangelism is an attack on Satan's kingdom; it is releasing people from his kingdom into the kingdom of God. To combat supernatural evil forces we need both prayer and fasting." (Oum, Helene, Prayer and Fasting for Evangelism) Fasting is ONE way to choose to ignore the distractions of this world and to ask God to be at work in the area of evangelism.

Even Jesus, though He IS God, began his ministry with forty days of prayer and fasting. He realized the power in ministry and in evangelism that comes through both. I think we sometimes need to ask ourselves: "When was the last time I was so passionate for _____ to come to know the Lord that I was willing to sacrifice something for it. It may be that for health reasons it is not good to do a complete fast from food, but perhaps we should consider an occasional fast from soft drinks, television, sweets, etc. or anything that would remind us to pray for a particular person(s). If you choose to do a fast of some kind perhaps you could pray for:
  • one specific unbeliever in your circle of influence

  • your friends at work/school/from your past, etc. that do not know Christ

  • your pastors/missionaries and their ministries in evangelism

  • your city, that may would see that the field are "white for harvest"

  • a revival of hearts in the whole United States

  • the persecuted church

  • a specific country

Prayer: "Lord, burden me more with the knowledge that there are so many that do not know you as their Lord and Savior. Forgive me for not sharing you because of fear of rejection, apathy in my life, being too busy, or by not making it a priority in my life. Help me to realize moment by moment how I can be a light for You and to fight the spiritual attack on unbelievers. Break me, mold me, and use me!"