Monday, October 12, 2009

Carrying His Cross

“Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it” (Matt 16:24-25, NIV).

A few years ago, I went to Canton, Texas on a shopping trip with a few of my neighbors. My most exciting find was a 5-foot tall iron cross. As I picked up the 30 lb. cross and carried it up the hill to the car, I realized it wasn’t going to be easy but I knew deep down it was worth it. I placed it carefully in the car, we worked all the people and packages around it, drove it home and then drug it in the house. I found myself exhausted after a very long twenty-one hour day. But, it was worth it. Right in the entryway was the perfect place for it.

As I sat there looking at it and thinking about how tired I was, I understood a little more about what it meant to deny oneself and take up His cross. Mine was a physical one; His cross a spiritual one…but one that has physical implications. The find of His cross is the most exciting find of my life. The price is great but worth it. I have to count the costs and go over a few fields and up a few hills. I’m exhausted some days and wondering if it is worth it. But along the way, there are neighbors to tell how the cross of Christ has impacted my life. And that’s what denying myself is all about. It’s all in what you are shopping for.

Lord, may I carry your cross today. Give me an opportunity to share as I walk the journey with those who do not know you.


(Adapted from HeartCall: The Call to Prayer, Jaye Martin, January 30.)