Thursday, November 12, 2009

catching my fall

This week, my understanding of God's power has increased through a series of events. All were humbling, some were from the Bible, some from teachings about it, but one is embarrassing!

Tuesday, the girls that I babysit had two neighbors ask them to play in their backyard. As I walked towards the girls, who were playing on a swing, I tried to pet their neighbor's Shetland Terrier. One of the girls called my name, I looked up, and walked onto a covered pool! I fell and was close enough to the edge to not slide into the middle. I think the girls were playing and didn't realize, and I just laughed.

Sometimes, I let sin fog my mind, and then I feel like it is inescapable. It takes time for me to realize that God is the only one who has the power to save me.

This week, as I listened to Tony Rose speak, he said (rephrased): "You are in a race. Your biggest competitor? You." He referred to this verse to show how to find power to run:
"For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as to divide soul, spirit, joints, and marrow; it is a judge of the ideas and thoughts of the heart." – Hebrews 4:12 (HCSB)

Why, this sin that holds on to us can actually help us see our need for God. He, in His incomparable mercy and absolute power, has given us the opportunity to turn to Him and away from sin. When we focus on the sin and do not forgive ourselves, do we truly trust in His incredible power? Hebrews 4:16 (HCSB) explains: "Therefore let us approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us at the proper time."

Christ is strong enough to fight the sin! I pray that we are quick to turn to Him when we fall.

Other verses: Daniel 6:26-27
Picture from swimmingpoolcovers.blogsavy.com