Thursday, March 4, 2010

refuge

“Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold” (Psalm 73:1-2, NIV).


Do I believe this first verse? After I read this chapter this morning, God spoke to me two other times in relation to this passage. So, I have gone back over it.

The author continues the chapter by confessing his thoughts. He catches himself as he begins to envy the wicked.

Almost suddenly, he remembers how God brings judgment on all – including himself. He writes:

“I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you” (v. 22).

This writer recognizes how life was without God. Now, God has given Him strength to live differently.

“My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever” (v. 26).

This passage reminds me that I do not want to forget how much I need Him! Our God is saving and will never let us go. Just like the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32, we are all in need of God’s unique grace.

I pray that I do not forget this one-of-a-kind love that He has for us.

The writer of this 73rd Psalm starts to close as he writes:

“But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds” (v. 28).

I pray that today we continue to trust in God and tell others how sweet it is to live this life with Him.