Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lakeside

I love Paul's words in Colossians 4:2-5

Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

The text begs us to consider whether or not we make the "best use of the time?" In order to faithfully claim that we have walked in wisdom toward outsiders, we must be diligent to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, encouragement & instruction from God's Word, and so forth. Before our God, I desire to use these days entrusted to me wisely, winning souls.

A couple of weeks ago, we found ourselves lakeside with friends. It was a time of refreshment. It would have been easy to bury ourselves in a good book, in deep conversation, and not so much as glance at those souls quite possibly perishing around us. Thankfully the Lord provided us with eyes to see opportunity in our meeting Stacie. We were mindful of our Savior and what He has done for us and shared it with a new friend. I wish I was perfectly mindful, using my time in wisdom as we did that day. Although we're imperfect, my prayer is that more & more we are found using the moments we have day in and day out to direct people to Jesus and teaching others to do the very same thing.

There is no hope besides our Savior. His death and resurrection has bought us something more precious than any earthly thing & our hearts ought to greatly desire to share it. Here's to making the best use of the time, remembering that our days, even if they be 70 or 80, are few. Let us use them then for the glory of King Jesus.