Thursday, July 8, 2010

pining after sore knees

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for He is God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care" (Psalm 95:6-7, NIV).

This week, my pastor asked us to kneel down to pray.  He noted how great it would be, to leave the service with our knees hurting because we were talking to God.  Recently, my small group also talked about how much God changed us when we were on our knees.  Whether this time spent on our knees was in praise, overcoming a habit, or asking for God to lead us in a decision, we reflected on how this action made a difference in our lives.

Can you think of a time it made a difference in yours?  When I'm on my knees, it helps me remember God's greatness and usually reminds me to pour out thanks.  Praying on our knees may be in private, but I think prayer is a time where God can change us from the inside out.  He can help us see how to live like Him, even when the world around us may not understand.

Some examples in the Bible of those who knelt in prayer to God, our great and loving King: Daniel in Daniel 6, Jesus in Luke 22:39-44, and Paul in Acts 20:36 and Ephesians 3:14.

(Image from www.nhg1health.com)