Friday, March 16, 2012

A Bare Necessity

"Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst.  Indeed the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14


Water is important to our health--a bare necessity!  About 2/3 of our body is water.  That water helps transport oxygen, keeps us detoxified and hydrated, and helps regulate our body temperature.  Because of that, doctors tell us we must have a healthy intake of water each day.  If not, dehydration will set in and cause all kinds of problems.  As much as we need physical water, it is far more important we have Living Water.  In the same manner, if we don't have Living Water, we will experience all kinds of problems. 


In John 4, the Samaritan woman was gathering her daily intake of water when she met Jesus.  After they talked, Jesus told her about his Living Water.  Jesus is tell us that we can drink all your favorite bottled waters in the world, but we will  still be thirsty, yet if we cling to the Living Water, we will never thirst.


So, is your water glass full and at your fingertips for easy access or are you parched and dehydrated?  Have you been going elsewhere to quench your thirst--reaching for other things to satisfy only to find yourself thirsty again?  When I find myself feeling spiritually dehydrated, I need to open the Word and spend more time with my Lord and Savior and inhale a healthy dose--wondering why I ever thought something else could satisfy my thirst OR that I could be so busy "doing" things that I forfeited time with Him.  God's Word  and a relationship with Christ is the ONLY antidote for thirst.  Let's share the Living Water with others!