Thursday, April 11, 2013

Conversation Starters: Interests

"But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24, NASB).

What is something you're interested in? Do you know others with a similar interest?

For me, I love to run and I love Christ. As God becomes more a part of my life, I can see ways that He fits into the world we experience and decisions we make. As I have grown closer in my walk with God, I am drawn to sometimes pray while I run, and I can relate to passages about perseverance in the faith in the Bible. God is my strength, so He will help me press on as I run and in the faith. He offers forgiveness and renewal when I feel I've failed. He will give me wisdom when I need it (which comically can come in handy as things cross my path when I run in a park). When I don't run quite like I wanted to one day, then I know my God has grace and will be there with me the next time I try. All of those things relate so closely to my spiritual walk, I see, and so it is neat to get to talk about that with other runners.

What are some things that you are interested in? Is it business, art, family, technology, developing systems, entertainment, reading or exercise? Whatever it may be, how does God apply to it? How is He a part of that picture?

When you talk with others, ask them what their interests are. Try to find a common one, or listen to them as they share theirs. This is a great way to learn where someone is coming from. If you get to bring up how God works in our everyday lives, then you may get to share with someone about who Christ is.

God is a part of our lives, and so when others are open to sharing about life, then we may get to share about ours as well. Let's pray for the words to say and for a connection with others so that we can have these conversations.

Questions to think about:
  • What are your interests? How does God relate to them? 
  • What are your best friend's interests? How does God relate to them? 
  • Is there someone you know now who doesn't know Christ, but that you have a common interest with?
Study based on the workbook HeartCall: Women Sharing God's Heart (Jaye Martin, 1999).