Thursday, August 29, 2013

Looking Forward

"For the grace of God has appeared with salvation for all people, instructing us to deny godlessness and worldly lusts and to live in a sensible, righteous and godly way in the present age, while we wait for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:11-13, HCSB). 

What motivates you? Lately, pictures of Corpus Christi have been motivating me keep up my runs, since I will be running in a long distance race there soon. There is this feeling within me that can emerge, though - a feeling that routine runs will wear away at me and drain my energy. When I remember why I am excited about that run in the future, my mind shifts. My heart lifts. I remember why I love to run, and even what may seem like a purely mechanic routine is a good time as I remember the end goal with its purpose and meaning.

As believers, we have this future hope that Jesus will return one day. This hope comes from God's promises. He is an unchanging promise keeper. God is Lord over all and Jesus, our Redeemer. With help from the Holy Spirit, we can seek to live our lives as His people, representatives for Him until He comes again to restore His kingdom on earth. My hope is that as we seek to follow God, we shift our eyes from obedience that can look like routine and see the underlying love for our Savior that can drive all of that.

Kelli Martin
Let's be a people who love Him from the inside out. Let's share with others and pray that they see that our obedience is a work of the Holy Spirit. Let's pray that God renews our hearts daily so we can reflect Him more.

"So we must not grow tired of doing good" (Galatians 6:9a, HCSB). 

"God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit in me" (Psalm 51:10, HCSB). 

Recommended song: "Absent from Flesh" performed by Sojourn Music. You can see a YouTube video here or listen to the audio version here. This song was inspired by the hymn written by Isaac Watts, and you can find the words to that here.