Thursday, August 1, 2013

Taste + See

"Taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8). 

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, 
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, 
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold" (Psalm 18:2, ESV).

Are you a fan of sundaes? A few weeks ago, my friend shared her birthday sundae at Bucca di Beppo. Its towering layers were mouth-watering. I definitely recommend tasting it to see for yourself.

It's refreshing to dig in and "taste" Scripture like Psalm 18:2, because it reminds me of God's identity. I love that in this one verse, David just went on and on about God.

What do you think of, when you hear these words?
  • fortress, refuge, shield
  • rock, stronghold
  • deliverer, salvation
David - a lyricist and a warrior, a shepherd who was anointed king -  went through many battles. Through it all, he saw that God is worthy of praise and devotion.

This is what I've been thinking about in this verse:
  • Deliverer. God saves. Jesus died for our debts on the cross, so He could forgive us. When we believe this and receive it, we are saved. It's a gift. He is a giver.
  • Rock. Our Lord is strong and present. Jesus defeated the grave. God's forgiveness frees us from staying bound by sin, and the Holy Spirit works within His people to make them a better reflection of His influence on us. He lives.
  • Refuge. He brings peace. Believers can rest in that their identity is a part of God's family that He watches after like the good shepherd. Remember, He's the Wonderful Counselor, the Prince of Peace, the Everlasting Father.
Kelli Martin
This weekend, let's praise God, overwhelmed with thankfulness for all He is.
Let's invite others who don't know him yet to dig in - to taste and see that the Lord is good.

"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for he has visited and redeemed His people and has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David" (Luke 1:68-69, ESV).

You can read the rest of chapter 18 here.
Recommended songs:
"My Redeemer Lives" by Nicole C. Mullen 
"Never Would Have Made It" by Marvin Sapp 
"Stronger" by Hillsong Chapel (live)