Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Sin of Selfishness

Kari Beougher
"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4

This past weekend I kept my sisters 4 kids, ages 6 and under. I absolutely adore my nieces and nephews and above all other career choices desire to one day be a mother. However, this weekend was a strong indication for me of my selfishness. I am convinced that being a mother is one of the most selfless endeavors tin existence. Every moment of parenting is spent serving, cleaning. feeding and caring for another. This past weekend, I realized how pervasive selfishness is. It is so easy to be selfish with time, money, plans, relationships- and yet that is not the mindset or attitude Christ calls believers to.

The passage in Philippians goes on to say, "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Phillippians 2:5-8. Jesus, the Son of God and Savior of the world, exemplified the most selfless attitude and actions of all time. And because He dwells inside believers, we are able to choose to love others above ourselves.

Today may we pray with the psalmist, "Incline my heart to your testimonies and not toward selfish gain!" (Psalm 119:36). May we actively look for opportunities to serve others and put their interests above our own.