Thursday, October 29, 2009

breathe in + exhale

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." –John 16:33

God is there for us through thick and thin. With Halloween approaching, personally I tend to see deadlines steadily approaching. I have a few papers due, and it seems like some responsibilities can flow like a waterfall. However, God can make that "waterfall" flow smoothly instead of ending in a crash. He brings peace.

Max Lucado, in his book Come Thirsty, explains, "Our Father makes the same request. 'Stay close to me. Talk to me. Pray to me. Breathe me in and exhale your worry.' " I love that part: "Breathe me in and exhale your worry."
This peace that we find in Him, how can we find and share it? Romans 5:1 explains how we have peace: "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." How can we share it? Maybe Colossians 3:15 offers an idea: "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful."

So, I pray that we can breathe Him in and exhale our worry or whatever binds us. In the face of what we see in this world, we can have confidence and peace in the strength of our Father. "The Lord will give strength to His people; The Lord will bless His people with peace" (John 14:27).

More verses: Isaiah 9:6,7; Phillipians 4:9
Drawing by Picasso