Thursday, October 8, 2009

support in the faith

As I visit family and friends in Texas this week, I am reminded of how God works in so many ways. While I was shopping with my friend, I saw how she spoke of others highly, saying things like, "Won't she be perfect for that?" I think that it was an indication of Christ's joy and kindness living inside of her. In the book Humility, C.J. Mahaney notes that identifying evidences of grace in others around us is a way to live with humility. If we tell others of these evidences of grace that we see in them, I think it would help us encourage each other in our relationships with Christ.

Mahaney points out how Paul thanked God for fellow believers in his letters in the New Testament. For example, Paul writes in Romans 1:8, "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world."

Mahaney presents a thought: if we actively look at how God is working in others, we can help them see God's movement in their life. This may motivate people to see how God is moving.
How can we identify the Holy Spirit moving? Galatians 5:22-23a reads, "But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." When we see these characteristics flowing out of other believers, we are witnessing God's light shining in our world.

In verse 11 of Romans 1, Paul adds, "I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith."

If we help point out God's light shining through others, then we may strengthen each other in our faith. I pray that we, as leaders and brothers and sisters in the faith, let others know when we see Christ working in their life. Like Mahaney writes, this practice will also help us see how God is at work everywhere!