Monday, January 10, 2011

Women at Southern: A Walk Through Psalms, January 10 by Stevi Smith

I thought it might be fun for you to see today's devotional from Women at Southern: A Walk Through Psalms. It was written by Stevi Smith. All proceeds from the sale go to support scholarships for women. You can get your copy by dropping by the LifeWay store on the campus of Southern Seminary or simply call 5-2-897-4506 and have them send it to you. Cost is $25,


January 10

Background passage: Psalm 7:12-17

Focal verse: “If anyone does not repent, God will sharpen His sword; He has strung His bow and made it ready” (Psalm 7:12).

I am teaching my daughter and students about choices. On January 10, 1988, I made the most important choice of my life. I chose to repent, surrender my life to Christ, and live as He desires. Although that was the most important choice in my life, it was not the last. I make choices everyday, just like my daughter and students.

Now that I have repented and surrendered my life to Christ, I must daily choose to put on the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). Some days it can be challenging to be different from the world around me. David writes of the disillusionment of the sin around us; it conceives trouble, deceit, lying, and manipulation. Sin doesn’t have a big red sign flashing over it. Sin often looks good and appears exciting.

Christ has called Christians not to conform to the sin of this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of their mind (Romans 12:2). What choices will we make today? If you have not chosen to give your life to Christ, please choose that today! If you have, will you renew your mind with thanksgiving and singing just as David did (v. 17)?

Lord, Thank You for reigning. Please lead me in each choice I make. May I always be glorifying to You! Amen.

Stevi Smith