Saturday, June 18, 2011

The God of Hope

Devotional from HeartCall: The Call to Prayer, published 1999 by North American Mission Board, Jaye Martin compiler and contributor

June 19

Background Passage: Romans 15:13-33

Focal Verse: Romans 15:13
“Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

Paul’s intention as reflected in these verses and throughout his letters in the New Testament is to always be ready to share the good news of Jesus Christ and His saving power.  His desire and ability to be obedient to this task is established in the God of hope who will fill him with all peace and joy.  As I read this scripture I find great encouragement in knowing that the same God of hope will fill me with peace and joy as I serve Him.  There have been times of anxiety to even pray specifically for a lost relative or friend fearing that God would tell me to speak a word of testimony.  As I spend time with the Lord He teaches me that I can possess peace and confidence when sharing my faith with others as I surrender these encounters to God, knowing that it is Christ working through me and the power of the Holy Spirit.  It is not my efforts which bring results.  Paul’s desire to give testimony to his faith in Jesus Christ flows out of the abundance of true joy he receives as a result of his daily walk with the Lord.  What an awesome God we serve!

Paul’s prayer for the Christians in Rome and mine for you is that you will be encouraged to pray for the lost and then under the direction and power of the Holy Spirit be willing to give testimony of the peace and joy you have through Jesus Christ.

Bridget Cavey
Catonsville, MD

For information on HeartCall, go to http://namb.net/heartcall