Monday, June 6, 2011

I press on

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained. (Philippians 3:12-16, ESV)

The heat of summer is upon us in Houston. The paper says it was 105 degrees here yesterday. I can't even think when it is that hot! The thought of going to even hotter Phoenix next week is not exciting me (although I am thrilled to see many wonderful ministry friends at the annual SBC). It is these days that I really have to focus and press on. Otherwise, I will never get anything done!

This passage in Philippians 3 is one of my favorites. It reminds me to press on. I must keep the focus on the what is important - winning souls to Christ - and on the things to which God has called me. Some days it seems that I will never reach my goal - whether it be that one who needs to be saved or to finish the writing projects - but I am reminded that Jesus never called me to do this in the flesh. He is there to help me to press on. I don't know who God may want you to talk to or what He may want you to do but whatever it is, press onward! Don't let the heat of summer keep you from focusing on the main thing.