Thursday, June 2, 2011

"walk humbly"

"As He began [His ministry], Jesus was about 30 years old and was thought to be the son of Joseph, [son] of Heli, [son] of Matthat, [son] of Levi...[son] of Seth, [son] of Adam, [son] of God" (Luke 3:23-24, 38; HCSB).

This book I am reading today is The Lost Letters of Pergamum by Bruce Longenecker.  I like how the layout is different - it's letters of fiction, back and forth, from different people who lived during Luke's life.  Most of what I've read so far represents a discussion that could have happened about the book of Luke in the Bible. 

On about page 62 of the book, one Roman "wrote" to Luke about how he didn't know the people in Jesus' lineage and that Nazareth, where Jesus was born, was pretty unimpressive.  I remember first reading that list in Luke and how I tended to breeze past it and not think much of it.  Now, though, I think Jesus' lineage and birthplace shows His humility. 

God's character stands out among others in history and today.  He keeps His promises, is self-sacrificing, has great mercy and is loving, as He also created everything and has authority over all things. 

It's my prayer that the Holy Spirit works in me and in all of us to make us humble like Him.  I pray we see our need for Him and see how to share Him with others this week.

"Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand streams of oil? Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression, or the child of my body for my own sin? He has told you men what is good and what it is the Lord require of You: Only to act justly, to love faithfulness, and to walk humbly with Your God" (Micah 6:7-8, HCSB).