Thursday, September 12, 2013

He will wipe away every tear

Photo from dreamphemera.wordpress.com.
"Then I heard a loud voice from the throne: 'Look! God's dwelling is with humanity, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will no longer exist; grief, crying, and pain will exist no longer, because the previous things have passed away'" (Revelation 21:3-4, HCSB).

Across the media in America yesterday were floods of memories of what happened on 9/11 in New York City. My friend reminded me of God's promises in the verses above. On that day, I remember the shock I felt. It seemed like it wasn't real for some time afterward.

As we honor those who work hard to protect our country and as we pray for them today, let us fully trust that in the end God will conquer all evil. He has power over it. What's more, because of Christ's sacrifice, God can bring redemption, peace and a renewed heart to a world in need of a Savior. How much we all need Him.

Do you know someone who is suffering or grieving? Let's pray for them or with them. Pray for the Holy Spirit to give us the words to say if we're given an opportunity to help them see more of who God is, this God who keeps His promises and saves.

This reminded me of how Queen Esther may have felt before asking the king, her new husband, to save her/God's people. Below are lyrics from a song about this (produced by VeggieTales actually):

"Mordecai: You wanted to know why you became queen
I told you God must have a reason
Perhaps he put you here, for such a time as this
Perhaps this is the reason.

"Esther: Tell me why, I don't understand 
Tell me why, or show me your hand
Tell me why because I can't see my way through
What now... should I.. do?


Kelli Martin
"The battle is not ours 
We look to God above
For He will guide us safely through
and guard us with His love

"I will not be afraid
I will not run and hide
For there is nothing I can't face when God is at my side"

You can listen to a clip from this song on YouTube here.
You can read this part of the story with Esther and Mordecai on Bible Gateway here.