Thursday, April 21, 2011

Echoing God's Story

Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM."  And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.
-Exodus 3:13-15, English Standard Version


My first exposure to the painting "I Am Who I Am" by Omar Gonzalez was sitting in a living room of a family, where several artists and supporters of artists were sitting.  Our eyes were focused on the painting that was in front of us: dots were spotted across the canvas, with red, orange, white, and other colors of paint, and they came together to form an image of Moses standing on hills.  It was a sight to see, and as the artist described it, we learned of its deeper meaning to his life and life in general.  Just as God spoke to Moses in the times of the Old Testament, He speaks to us today. 

About six months later, I got to see this Gonzalez's piece displayed among fifteen other pieces in a show named ECHOS.  It is being shown at First Baptist Church in Houston, Texas, from April 10-24.  The art is based on sermons and passages of Scripture the artists heard.  As I walked through the lobby to see and read about the artwork, I was in awe of God and how He speaks to us.

It is amazing how God speaks to each one of us.  His character is unchanging and trustworthy, and He still loves us.  He spoke to Moses, to Joshua, to King David, and to Isaiah, as well as to Mary, to Joseph, to Paul, and to John.  The thing that is incredible to me is that He still speaks to us today.  He is Lord over all, and in His Son we see His perfect love and mercy.

As the Easter weekend approaches, I pray that we see opportunities to share how He came to earth to die for our sins and to draw us closer to Him - no matter the medium.

Information about Imago Houston, the group that gathered to put on ECHOS: imago houston - holy week art show 2011

"How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you."
-Psalm 139:17-18, English Standard Version