Monday, April 4, 2011

Life in Rear View Mirror


The other day, I helped a friend deliver a chair and ended up close to the house we lived in when we were first married. I hadn't seen the house in years so I just had to drive by. The place looked great but I burst into laughter when I saw the mailbox. The new owners had added a brick encasement. While it might not mean anything to the normal person, it sure did have meaning to me. I remember many times coming outside and the mailbox being on the ground because someone had cut the corner and run over it! It seemed like we were constantly having to buy a new mailbox. Don't you know that someone just got tired of that and decided to take action? My guess is that this mailbox is there to stay for awhile.

Looking back on my life, there are several things I've learned. Life always seems so much more clear looking in the rear view mirror...yet if I only looked back, I'd crash! Lord, help me to focus on what is in front of me today. I want to learn from the past but press on toward the future!

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained. Philippians 3:12-16, ESV.