Thursday, December 3, 2009

where is the root?

In Luke, Jesus compared seeds thrown on rocks to people. He explained: "Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away" (Luke 8:13).

As followers of Christ, where is the root of our faith?

This past weekend, my friend wondered aloud why some people claim they are a Christian when they do not act like they agree with the Bible's teachings. My friend was frustrated that a friend of hers seems to go to church to please others. She explained that her friend did not live like she wanted to obey God's Word.

That night, I wondered to God, "Am I acting like I truly believe what You say?" Since then, He has been showing to me where I can improve in my confidence to live for Him.

Later in Jesus' story about seeds, He described the kind of seed that grew to maturity: "But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop" (Luke 8:15). I pray that God will help us learn more of how to live like seeds on good soil so that others see His goodness.