Saturday, December 12, 2009

Twinkling Lights

The bright hope of Christmas is that Jesus Christ, our God, became a man to extend salvation not only to the nation of Israel, but to save us. His arm stretched out to gather in even the Gentiles unto Himself. His desire was for the nations.

Isaiah 49:5-6
And now the LORD says—
he who formed me in the womb to be his servant
to bring Jacob back to him
and gather Israel to himself,
for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD
and my God has been my strength-
he says:
"It is too small a thing for you to be my servant
to restore the tribes of Jacob
and bring back those of Israel I have kept.
I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."

This passage of Scripture captivates my heart when I allow it too. The Father made the Son "a light for the Gentiles" in order that salvation would reach "to the ends of the earth." If you're anything like me the lure of twinkling lights, pretty nativity scenes, hot chocolate, Christmas celebrations usher in this cold winter-like season in which we celebrate the birth of our Savior. Without care we miss the mystery & miracle for which Christ came. The hustle & bustle quickly pulls us away from the plan of God into consumerism, materialism, me-ism. If we are thoughtful and reflect for a while however soon we see that the light of Christmas is not found in the lights on our Christmas tree or in shiny new gifts, but in a baby boy born in the most lowly of places. This One of lowly birth will one day rule the nations as an exalted King. Christ's desire is for nations...for the ends of the earth. If we are not careful in our very American world Christmas consists of nothing more than self preoccupation, thoughtless spending, & gluttony. BUT what if this time around Christmas was more than that for us...what if it was more than the annual Christmas cantata & the reading of Luke, although these things are quite profitable. What if our thinking around Christmas extended to include care packages for the refugees who are taking up residence in our cities...what if it extended to include prayers for the missionaries and lost people groups around the world. Basically, what if our Christmas celebration called us to the things the Father had in view when He sent His Son to earth...what if we asked the Lord to let the light of Christ shine in us in such a way that the nations would come to Jesus!

As I look at the twinkling lights on the Christmas tree in my own home...these are just my thoughts.