Friday, February 4, 2011

"As You Swim"

"Therefore go and make disciples of all the nations...."  Matthew 28:19

Last week I was talking about how I need to be intentional about sharing boldly about Christ "as I go."  I recently had an opportunity to share "as I swam."  Swimming is my favorite form of exercise --no cell phones, e mails, talking, only silence and time to reflect and pray.  When I stopped to take a drink of water, a young man swimming near me asked me a question about breathing and swimming.  While I am no expert at all, I was able to give him a couple tips on how he could improve his stroke.

We finished swimming about the same time.  Since we already had a "starting point" for a conversation I asked him what he did for a job.  It turns out that he was from India and was away from home on business.  I told him I had friends who lived in India and that most of their friends were Hindu and asked him if he followed Hinduism.  He said yes, that He was a Hindu.  Time was short and he seemed open to a conversation just from the couple tips about swimming.  Following Kelli Martin's advice from a previous blog about simplicity, I just told him that I was a Christian and that Christianity was the only religion that actually had a Savior rise from the dead.  I asked him if he would use the Gideon Bible in the hotel room and read the gospel of John and see what it had to say about Jesus.  He said that he would.

Now I don't know if he was being polite or if he ever did, but God is trying to teach me to be intentional about the gospel AS I GO each day--and in this case AS I SWAM. :)

Let us all encourage each other to keep sharing n the ways that we are GIFTED TO GO!!!