Monday, February 21, 2011

Finish the Task

"But now finish the task as well, that just as there was eagerness to desire it, so there may also be a completion from what you have" (2 Corinthians 8:11, HCSB).

I admit it. I'm a great starter. If you need someone to get a HUGE project started, I'm your girl. If there is a gift of apostle, I have it. I love to do the strategic groundwork and get projects started. I love the excitement and the mountain to climb. Tell me it can't be done and I am that much more determined.

However, I am a horrible finisher. I do not like to finish things. I like to see the finished product (ha, most of the time) but I am not interested in finishing or maintaining things. Whether it is a short project or a lengthy one, I am dying to get out of just about anything I have gotten myself into. Every day is a struggle for me (and those who have to endure my lack-of-completion skills).

This verse was supposed to be my verse for last year...maybe the year before too. Basically, I am already "done with it." I want a new verse. I don't want to stick with the same one but God has clearly told me that I don't get to have a new one. This is my verse for this year too. And if I don't finish some things, it will be my verse for next year too. Yikes, that scares me!

So what's the point you ask? Several things: God has a plan. We need to start the plan and we need to finish it. He doesn't give the next instruction or insight until the old one has been completed. (Sometimes He gives me just a glimpse of the new thing because it motivates me to finish the old thing!) Some of us need to start what the Lord has asked us to do. Some of us need to work on it. Some of us just need to finish and turn something in. I'm in the last category. Pray for me and I will pray for you! Lord, make me gifted to finish!

You are loved and prayed for.