Friday, February 25, 2011

A Person Named Justa

"Commit your works to the Lord, then it will succeed."  Proverbs 16:3

I read a devotion this week written by Leigh Anne Florence.  She is a woman who has a very creative ministry and does a lot of public speaking .  In this devotion, she said she meets lots of people named "Justa."  She says she asks hem frequently, "So, what do you do?"  The answer she becomes accustomed to hearing is:  I'm just a mom.  I'm just a bank teller.  I'm just a cafeteria workers.  I'm just a secretary.  She says in her article:

"I want to scream.  'You're not just a anything!'  Though they may not mean it, what their statement says to me is they don't feel like what they're doing is important.  It is as if they believe their life is not as purposeful as someone else's.  I always replay, 'You're not just a mom--You're a Mom, a mom to somebody very special and that's great....God doesn't make "just a's.'"

"All throughout Scripture, God uses the common to do the spectacular.  When the angel appeared to Mary and told her she would be the mother of the Christ child, I'm sure she thought, 'I'm just a girl!'  I wonder if David muttered the words, 'I''m just a little boy' when he stood before the giant.  Look at the apostles--they were commonplace every day, run of the ill people, but they were the ones Jesus chose to build His church.  If God can use shepherds, fishermen, young girls, and tax collectors, I am confident He can use each of us." (used by permission from Leigh Anne Florence)

This challenged me to commit ALL my works to the Lord.  "Commit your house cleaning to the Lord, then it will succeed."  "Commit your teaching to the Lord, then it will succeed."   "Commit your women's ministry to the Lord--then it will succeed."  "Commit your evangelism to the Lord, then it will succeed." 

Let's encourage each other and the ladies around us that they are not "just a"--they are appointed for different tasks and places of influence!

(You can read more about this speaker at http://www.woodybooks.ocom/)