Thursday, February 17, 2011

from a need to a change

"This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.  If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.  If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us"  (1 John 1:5-10, ESV).

Lately, I have seen how I am not as strong as I would like to be - mentally, physically, and spiritually.  I can have trouble focusing, and the last mile that I try to add every two weeks to my runs, to train for a half-marathon, is my toughest.  Spiritually, my friends have been teaching me more about confession.  The thing is, is that I think confession really opens us up for growth in our relationship with God and with everyone you meet.  I think it helps to at least share how we have this deep need for a relationship with God.

It is a process, I think, to mature in our faith.  When we speak with others, we can know that we are neither perfect nor worthy to be in God's family, but that we are able to be a part of it because of Jesus' sacrifice for us.  We are weak by ourselves, but we are strong with God.  The Holy Spirit sanctifies us. 

My challenge for myself, and to any others, is to take time to remember how much we need God in our lives.  If we explain this need to others, then we could help each other grow closer to Him.  It is an everyday need that we all have, and we can praise God that He is strong enough for anything.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me" (2 Corinthians 12:9, ESV). 

An old music video about change - "May Your Power Rest on Me"