Thursday, February 10, 2011

of constant sorrow?

"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace.  You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous!  I have conquered the world" (John 16:33).

A favorite song of mine, from the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? is "A Man of Constant Sorrow" - not just because I am living in Kentucky now, but because I like how the movie relates to Homer's book, Odyssey.  I thought of it when I remembered how many people go through different kinds of trouble. A few days ago, I found out that a couple of women in my office building have different stages of cancer.   It is tough for me to process.

What does God say about sorrow?  Last night, I was reading John 16, which jumps into the story of Jesus talking with the disciples before he is betrayed and arrested (He discusses several things, and so I recommend reading a couple of chapters before chapter 16).  One thing He said stood out to me: "I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace.  You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous!  I have conquered the world" (John 16:33, HCSB). 

The world is not a perfect place, we can see, but you know we don't have to be filled with fear in the midst of sorrow or troubles.  God promises new life for those who believe in Him. His Spirit brings joy, as we know He is with us.

I pray that we remember who God is when troubles come our way.  Is there someone else around us who is going through something tough?  I pray that we will be able to, in the midst of sorrows, remind ourselves and others of who Christ is.

"May they all be one, as You, Father, are in Me and I am in You.  May they also be one in Us, so the world may believe You sent Me" (John 17:21, HCSB).

Music video link:  YouTube.com, Soggy Bottom Boys, "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow"