Monday, August 8, 2011

Overcoming Fear


"For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.  Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, or of me His prisoner; but join with {me} in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity"  (2 Timothy 1:7-9, NAS).

Fear is not from the Lord. I have to keep reminding myself of that little fact. In Paul's second letter to Timothy, he writes that God has not given us a fear or a spirit of timidity, but of power, love, and discipline. When we tap into the power of the Holy Spirit, the love of the Lord, and continue in the discipline of a sound mind, God is faithful to remove the fear. We are to never be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

On Saturday, I was blessed to see and hear Governor Rick Perry express his faith in the lordship of Jesus Christ, with no apologies! The Response prayer rally in Houston was centered on the saving blood of Jesus and on prayer for our nation. Those in all walks of the Christian faith came together to pour out their hearts for God to be known and to heal our land. In the days to come, may we all be so bold as to un-apologetically share our faith and pray for our nation!

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land" (2 Chronicles 7:14, KJV).

“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not against us is for us. (Mark 9:39-40, NIV).

"We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry" (2 Corinthians 6:3, ESV).