Friday, February 24, 2012

Are We Ashamed?

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Acts 1:16

There was an episode of the old Andy Griffith Show (for those of you who have never heard of it, find an episode on your computer and get a context for this post :))  Andy Griffith was the sheriff of Mayberry and Opie was his son.  Opie did not want his new friend to know that his paw was the sheriff.  He asked Andy:  "Do you mind if just this once we shake hands instead of huggin' and I call you Sheriff Taylor instead of Paw, Paw?  I wouldn't want Timmy thinking the Sheriff was my paw or anything." 

Perhaps we have experienced times when our children did not want everyone to know who their parents were.  I have been a chaperone several times at a school dance where my kids did not want others to know I was there.   Or recently, when my daughter wanted to drop a friend off at his dorm downtown, she did not want her friend to know I was following in the car behind them.  That would have been embarrassing (or so she thought). 

However, how many times have I not wanted people to know who my Heavenly Father is for fear of making things wierd between us or in fear of offending them?  Am I trying to introduce everyone I know to Him or am I wanting to keep that part of my "private" life?  Jesus says in Matthew 10:32-33:  "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.  But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."  How terrifying to think that my heavenly Father could deny me!!!

Let's proclaim Him boldly to others and show our joy at being considered one of God's children!