Thursday, July 2, 2009

between the celery and the cucumber


Confession: this is my first time to blog! I am excited to join you ladies here! Please hang in as I give this a try... :)

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..." (Colossians 3:23, New International Version)

After my dad and I tried to beat the rush to the grocery store before the 4th of July, I realized the power in this verse. After weaving through isles of people trying samples, ordering meals for their families, and debating over seemingly endless varieties of pasta, my dad and I reached the cash register with our collection.

A petite brunette with her hair pulled back bagged our groceries and we began to talk. I told her thank you as she bagged, and a couple of moments later she asked if that was my class ring on my hand. I said yes and then noted it was actually my college ring.

Her eyes lit up as she said that she is getting her high school senior ring in about a month, and that she is hoping to go to college to be a nurse. Suddenly, she looked down. She explained that she got into trouble last year, so she is actually a year behind in school.

My heart broke that her disappointment in herself seemed to drag her down. We talked about how much nurses were needed today. Inside, I did not want the past to puncture her confidence in the future. As my dad finished paying, I told her, "You have so much to look forward to now. Best wishes."

That night, I wondered if there was more I could have said to show her God's love. Looking back, I could have encouraged her to put her hope in God. I would have loved to share one of my favorite verses, Isaiah 40:31 (Holeman Christian Standard Bible):

"but those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

Every moment counts. I do not clearly see how I will impact the world. Yet, I thank God that whatever we do, even in the hurry of getting ready for celebrations like Independence Day, His light can shine through us!

"For this is what the Lord has commanded us:
'I have appointed you as a light for the Gentiles,
to bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'" (Acts 13:47, HCSB)