Monday, July 27, 2009

Sand Dollar Dove

"From the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse" Romans 1:16.
It was in my childhood that I grew to love the beach. Somehow the creation seemed to roar with the sounds of the waves and the voices of the seagulls flying overhead. The sand brought a certain squishiness to my feet and whether it was burning hot, cold and wet, or just as soft as walking on cotton, I loved it all. What made it even more fun were the incredible finds - sandcrabs running about, shells turned to display their beauty, and sand dollars that were perfect. By the time we gathered our finds and returned home, everything wasn't the same...especially those fragile sand dollars.
I was cleaning a basket of collected shells and found one of those broken sand dollars. I said my peace and tossed it only to find that in the bottom of the basket was a sand dollar dove that had fallen from the brokenness. Maybe that was the message that I was supposed to see. The message that there is hope from brokenness. The message that creation cries out every day that God is there and is clearly seen when we seek Him.
I'm wondering if today that someone out there is broken and needs to be reminded that there is hope. God is in the middle of the brokenness and stands ready to bring new life to your weary soul. I'm wondering if maybe we have passed up someone and discarded them because they were broken and they seemed too messy to deal with.
Lord, today, help me to focus on what you can do to change a broken life. Let me see the hope that only comes from You. Give me your words to say as I go about my day remembering that all creation is crying out for people to see that there is hope in the name of Jesus. Lord, let me be the one to put that message of hope together for them. Give me someone to share with today, I pray, Amen.