Thursday, July 16, 2009

the sound of music

My eyes were half open as I lunged with the bar. Halfway through a morning strength training class, I began to wonder why I had come. My instructor's words were encouraging, but her long intervals were definitely a challenge.

As I began to think about changing to a lower weight resistance, a familiar song on her playlist began to play. It is "Give Me Your Eyes," performed by Christian artist Brandon Heath.

As I listened, I began to pray to God, asking why this class was hard for me. I was reminded of the perseverance God loves to see in us. James explains it this way:

"As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered.
You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."
-James 5:11 (New International Version)

Music can have great power. It can attract, inspire a feeling, and send a message. I think, in life, what message do I show when I play music with friends in the car? How does it move me? How could it move others?

My new instructor has painted a picture of how we can inspire others. I pray that I can use music for God's glory to tell of His love. King David expressed his love for God this way:

"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing.
You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothe me with joy,
that I might sing praises to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!"
-Psalm 30:11-12 (New Living Translation)