Thursday, September 2, 2010

a memorable surprise

"I [Jesus speaking] am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me - just as the Father knows me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep"  (John 10:14-15). 

Monday, I think I saw a good representation of a shepherd.  Around lunchtime in the office, some employees seemed to tiptoe in and out of the front lobby, peering both into the main conference room and to the door by the elevators.  It was a senior partner's 50th birthday, and the group was trying to surprise him with cake and lunch.  His wife phoned in, explaining that she was with him and was trying to convince him to come back to the office before they "left for lunch."

What drew my attention was another senior partner, who actually started the firm.  He made sure that other employees knew to come to the front area for the surprise, and he stood by the front.  When the man whose birthday it was exited the elevators with his wife, he smiled hugely as the office clapped and wished him a happy one.  The founding senior partner stepped towards him, stopping him before he said thanks, to explain his gratitude for his friendship and for being a part of the team.

The way this founding partner behaves in showing care to each person in the office came to mind when I read this verse about Jesus being the good shepherd.  God truly cares about us; He sent His Son Jesus to suffer for what we've done wrong so that we can know Him today and celebrate one day with Him in heaven.  God has a plan for us, so we don't need to fret.  When we trust in Him, He is right there to walk with us, just like a good shepherd is there to save his sheep. 

How can we share this with others?

"May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever.  Amen" (Hebrews 13:20-21).