Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What Faithful Looks Like

“And if you faithfully obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth" Deuteronomy 28:1, ESV).

I think I'm on a tangent again. I keep running into people who want it all now. You know what I mean. They want something without paying the price for it. I might as well stop talking about what it means to be faithful with small and start writing it down. To be faithful with small means that we are faithful (loyal, obedient, trustworthy) to do the small things. For instance, let's say that someone wants speaking engagements and yet has not been faithful to have her time alone with God every day...that is not being faithful in the small things. I talked to a lady who was frustrated that she didn't have any good witnessing stories to tell and was sounding off about it. Hmm. I asked her how often she'd shared her faith. She said she had really never seen the big moment to do so. Hmm. That's what I'm talking about. If God can't trust us in the little things, why would He trust us in the big things? Why would one turn down a speaking engagement because it wasn't "big" enough and tell them to call her when they had more people? Really? Yes, really. I could go on and on.

I love this verse in Deut 28:1. IF we are FAITHFUL to do what God says to do (and gives us opportunity to do) TODAY, then He will allow us to bring honor to Him in even greater ways. It is incredible about how simple the Scriptures can be. What does faithful look like? It looks like you and me doing what we have committed to do - the big things and the little things. Faithful living is doing what He calls us to do...and doing it will excellence. It is going beyond the call of duty. We are to be loyal and trustworthy in all we say and do.
I didn't say it would always be fun, but it is what we are called to do. And trust me, I have a list of a few things that I need to be faithful in too. None of us are immune.

Lord, make me be faithful. Let me be faithful to bring glory to you...and not to bring glory to me. Make me into a faithful leader who is willing to out serve everyone else. May You get the glory!