Monday, September 20, 2010

Lift up Jesus


"But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself" (John 12:32, NASV).

What a great weekend we had! Marshall and Tracy Jones came to Houston to stay with Dana and me. We went to see the Astros both nights (since they are all three crazy about sports). On Friday night, it was Houston's First Baptist Church night, our Pastor Gregg threw out the first pitch, and the game ended with beautiful fireworks. The display over the city was beautiful. It was a great night and a great weekend!

As I watched the fireworks, I couldn't help but let my mind wander. How much money was all this costing? I cannot even imagine. How many times do we spend money on things that have no eternal value. Why do we spend so much on things like fireworks that we there one moment, and gone the next? Even as I tried to take a few photos, the scene would change before I could capture the moment.

Are we faithful in the moment? Do we spend our time and energy on things that will pass away quickly or on things that have lasting value? Our lives are but a vapor.

Lord, help me to be the light for someone. Help me to use each passing moment spending time on what matters. May I lift Jesus up so that You will be glorified!