Thursday, October 14, 2010

Victory!

"On that day Deborah and Barak son of Abinoam sang: When the leaders lead in Israel, when the people volunteer, praise the Lord.  Listen, kings! Pay attention, princes!  I will sing to the Lord;  I will sing praise to the Lord God of Israel" (Judges 5:1-2, HCSB).

The above is the first part of Deborah and Barak's song.  Leaders from Israel, from different clans like Benjamin and Zebulun, had gathered to fight against Sisera.  These Israelites praise the Lord, since God gave them victory over Sisera. 

Recently, I got to meet a woman who was running for the office of a judge.  She impressed me with how evident it was that she loved her family as well as the people of the city.

How do we love our God?  He has gifted us all in different ways, just like He gifted Deborah and this woman I met.  We can trust in Him to use our strengths and to help us overcome our weaknesses to do great, good things for His story. 

Deborah's story reminds me that no matter what I think of my weaknesses, that God is glad to lead His children.  If we love Him, believe in Him and call on His Name, He will be sure to answer (John 1:12).  I pray that we trust Him and that we remember to share how Christ died to save us, so that we may live (1 Peter 2:24).

"Lord, may all your enemies perish as Sisera did. But may those who love Him be like the rising of the sun in its strength" (Judges 5:31, HCSB).