Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Seasons of Change


In the past few weeks, my kids have been amazed at the changing leaves. Every morning when we walk outside, my two year old girl exclaims (again) "Mommy!!! There are MORE leaves on the ground!" It has become part of our daily routine to go out and play in the piles of leaves after our naptime. We talk about the colors and I answer questions every minute about "how come the leaves don't like to be green anymore?" As I have spent my days focusing on the things that are changing around us, I have been so comforted to be reminded of a truth that Malachi records for us: "I the Lord do not change. So you, O descendents of Jacob are not destroyed" (Malachi 3:6). While I love to watch the beauty of the seasons changing, I am so thankful today that my God remains constant. That the One I worship is consistent. That the Lord's Word is dependable without exception. God can be trusted without hesitation. This season, as you praise the Lord for the beauty of the changing seasons, take a moment to stop and thank Him for His unchanging nature that continues to forgive, accept and love you without condition or changing standards. "The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of our God endures forever!" (Isaiah 40:8).