Thursday, October 7, 2010

a mighty fortress

"Therefore, since we are reiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken,
let us hold on to grace. 
By it, we may serve God acceptably, with reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire" (Hebrews 12:28-29, HCSB). 

Has someone asked why you have patience when coffee spills on your new clothes, why you are able to not gossip when the office talks about an insulting customer or how you are able to trust that God will take care of your family in the midst of a challenging time?

The other day, a man from FedEx came in to my office and asked why I was smiling.  My response was quick, and I explained that I was able to pray that morning.  Yet, the true reason is deeper.  As I think about it, it is because God has given me hope. 

As believers, it is Jesus Christ who has changed our lives from the inside out.  Are we in awe of Him?  I pray that if someone asks us why we have hope that we are able to tie it to the original source, that we know as followers of Christ.  We have a mighty King and Savior who is dependable, a strong fortress and our true source of joy and peace.

"But even if you should suffer for righteousness, you are blessed.
Do not fear what they fear or be disturbed,
but set apart the Messiah as Lord in your hearts,
and always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you
for a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:14-15, HCSB).



YouTube - "A Mighty Fortress," Christy Nockles