Tuesday, November 2, 2010

In Jesus' Name


Recently I called my sister-in-law and she answered the phone laughing. I asked her what was so funny and she explained that they had just picked up Tayton (my three year old nephew) from his Awana class at church. As soon as they got into their car, Tayton immediately exclaimed "Mom!! Did you know that Jesus named Amen?" :)

As we were talking about how cute that was, I began to think about how often I have prayed to God and ended with "In Jesus' name, amen", without truly thinking about the significance of that small phrase. It is only because of the name of Jesus that I have the ability to approach God's throne of grace with confidence (Hebrews 4:16). It is because of the name of Jesus that I can ask anything according to the will of God and He will hear me (I John 5:14). It is because of the name of Jesus that I have everlasting life and do not have to face hell for my sin (John 3:16).
"For this reason God...gave [Jesus] the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow - of those who are in heaven and on the earth and under the earth - and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord." (Phil 2:9-10)

Today, as you spend time in prayer, take a moment to stop and pause when you end with the name of Jesus. Thank God for the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ. Do not pray the name of Jesus from repitition, but with a deep heart of gratitude and love that we as sinners can approach the Holy God IN JESUS' NAME.