Monday, November 8, 2010

On My Face

“For by grace you are saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is God’s gift – not from works, so that no one can boast. For we are His creation – created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:8-10, HCSB).

Meet Gracie. She's the newest member of our extended family (my brother-in-law's puppy). She gains a pound about every other day and to say she is growing is an understatement. Gracie is full of energy but in this photo, you see her crashed and on her face after much activity!

I suppose if the truth be known, that's where I find myself - crashed, exhausted, and on my face! After much activity, I am flat-out tired. (I know you know the feeling!) While I could not do what I do without God's help, it is always good to be reminded that I am not supposed to be working my way to heaven or working for the Lord in my own strength.

I was in the "crashed on the bed state" on Sunday afternoon when the Lord brought this very truth to mind again. I am teaching on being gifted2go at the LifeWay National Women's Ministry Forum this week in Ridgecrest, NC and the key verses are found in Ephesians 2:8-10. It is amazing how God can give me new insights even when I am wishing I was asleep! God reminded me that HE is a free GIFT and that it is not by works that I come to Him (saved by grace alone) and it is not by works that I serve in Him. He IS my strength and He is the gift. He gave me the gift of Christ and it is Christ in me - through the power of the Holy Spirit - that does the work. I work and serve IN HIM, and not in myself.

Today, I pray that we don't work ourselves to death thinking that the world is dependent on us. It's not. The world is dependent on Him and be reminded, we just need to stay on our faces and let His strength work in and through us!